Adwords Part 3

The 3rd day of using Google Adwords seemed to be ridiculous and I was pretty sure something was broken. And after researching it onthe web, I found out the problem: my keywords were way too broad.

Example: using “voice over talent” without the quotes treats the search terms as having a OR in between each word. So any query that has “voice” in it would turn up my ad. Same with “over” and “talent”. Because of this, it’s no surprise I got 89,000 impressions and only 14 clicks.

Today, I refined my keywords to include complete phrases. Now my ad will only show up if I someone searches for “Voice over talent” as an exact term.

Also, my other challenge was to tailor my keywords to match what potential clients will search for. Using “Voice over jobs” is not a good keyword because clients will never search for it. That’s a terms searched for by people looking for VO jobs. So when formulating my keywords I had to think like a client, not a VO artist.

As a result of all of this, I had 377 impressions today and 4 clicks. This still seems minimal, but the click/impression ratio is much greater. and the clicks themselves are probably more relevant.

Tonight, I sign up for Microsoft Adcenter and will report on what happens.


About Jeffrey Kafer

I am a Seattle-based voice over artist specializing in audiobooks, but also working in corporate narration and commercials. You can find me at View all posts by Jeffrey Kafer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: